One Source Lighting & Design’s FAQ section offers information about various questions on lighting fixtures, controls, and design.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many lamps does each fixture have?
These fixtures can be custom ordered to suit depending on the HID lamps you want to replace, or the light levels you need. We can make a 2, 4, 6lamp or a 8-lamp fixture.
- What kind of lamps do you use?
We recommend high lumen 5000K lamps for the best performance.
- How many watts does your fixture have versus HID?
Our standard fixture will operate with approximately 60% more efficiency. For example, a standard 400W HID will use 460 watts with ballast. Our 6-lamp fixture would be a standard replacement that would operate at 218-220 watts.
- What is CRI, and how does that make a difference?
CRI stands for Color Rendering Index. This refers to the useable light that the human eye can process. A higher CRI it will make colors much more visibly distinct and pleasing. The CRI on a standard HID can be as low as 65 whereas the CRI with our fixture is into the 80’s+.
- Are your fixtures UL rated?
Yes, all of our fixtures are UL/CUL approved.
- Can your fixture be used in cold/hot weather environments?
Yes, our fixtures can be ordered to perform in extreme weather conditions. It has been used in extreme cold temps as low as –20F.
- Are they available in all voltages?
Yes, they can be built to suit any voltage including 347 and 480.
- Do you have replacement for 1000 watt HID?
Yes, we use (1) 10-lamp T5 fixture to replace one 1000W-HID fixture.
- What kind of warranty do you have?
Each Maunfactor has there own guarentee.
- Does this fixture apply for high ceilings, greater than forty feet?
Yes, these fixtures have been tested and approved to drive light to the floor from greater than 50 feet!
- What kind of maintenance (cost) is there compared to my HID?
The cost to replace lamps/ballasts is about as much as an HID.
- How heavy are your fixtures?
Because of the compact design and aluminum reflector, a standard 6-lamp fixture is less than 20 lbs with ballasts.
- Can you get them enclosed, or have shatterproof bulbs?
Yes, we do offer enclosed fixtures.
- Is a T-8 fluorescent replacement better than a T-5?
A T-8 fixture will draw less energy than a T-5 and it has lower repair and maintenance costs due to the price of the T-5 lamps.
- What kind of light degradation do you have versus my HID?
Standard HID lamp will lose up to 40% of the original light in the first year; our fixture will retain 90% of its original light at the end of its life.
- How do lower operating temperatures affect me?
Every 4 watts saved on powering indoor lighting fixtures means 1 watt saved in air conditioning related costs. Cooler ballasts mean longer ballast & lamp life resulting in less labor and replacement costs.
- Do you dispose of my HID’s?
Yes, for a minimal fee we can dispose of your old fixtures and ensure that the lamps are properly re-cycled.
- How much do they cost, and do you have quantity discounts?
A single 6-lamp fixture is usually less than $50 after rebates and energy savings. Please call us for details.
- I don’t have any money in my capital budget, what are my payment options?
If you are in the middle of a budget year and funds are tight, we can find low-cost financing packages that range from 1.9% to 6.5% depending on your credit rating. The energy savings will lower the amount due to the utility and you will make up the difference by diverting the funds to the loan payment. Many customers have had a positive monthly cash flow through this option.
- Does your price include lamps?
Yes, our fixtures do include lamps, cords and delivery to your space. We use only the highest quality Phillips 850 Alto Series lamps that carry a 2 year warranty.
- Is this eligible for a rebate from the utility company?
Yes, most states including Minnesota and Wisconsin utilities offer rebates for this type of energy efficient lighting. Please contact your local utility for availability and details.
- Do you recommend replacing fixtures one for one?
No, typically they are replaced based on a new layout.. However, in some cases you may be able to replace one for one. Please contact us for assistance with your lighting design.
- How long does it take to get my light fixtures?
We always quote 4-6 weeks for delivery, but often times we can get them to you sooner.